Child safety is a serious subject, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have an enjoyable time talking about it with children. Sing songs, tell stories, play games, and interact with kids in a way that makes them feel safer. Consider the following topics as you begin the conversation.
- Teach children their full names, address, and home telephone number
- Make sure they know your full name
- Make sure children know how to reach you at work or on your cell phone
- Teach children how and when to use 911 and make sure children have a trusted adult to call if they’re scared or have an emergency
- Instruct children to keep the door locked and not to open the door to talk to anyone when they are home alone
- Set rules with children about having visitors over when you’re not home and how to answer the telephone
For more suggestions and sample materials, download: